Friday, May 11, 2018

Flashback Friday: 1988 Indy 500!

May 1988:
I was thrilled beyond belief when friend CS informed me he'd joined the Safety Patrol Crew at the Indianapolis 500, and could get me into the Pits during Carburation Day, as well as the Miller Beer tent.  The only hitch:  We had to wear jeans and long sleeves while in the pits.

It was a scorching day, but I donned my jeans over my shorts and threw on a long-sleeved Oxford over my tank top.  Got some good shots of various drivers, including an iconic picture of Rick Mears, Danny Sullivan, and Roger Penske (whom I liked back then.  Can't stand him now.) sitting on the wall.  Got Danny's autograph, as well as Stan Fox's.  I was disappointed I didn't get to meet Kevin Cogan, or even see his car, but I DID get to see his garage!

After leaving the pits, I shocked an elderly Safety Patrol gentleman manning the parking area.  As soon as we passed him, I took my arms out of my Oxford shirt and started unfastening my jeans.  I'd just begun sliding them down when I heard him shouting, "Oh, uh, wait...wait!"  I didn't care; I continued until the hot garment was past my knees, then turned around.

"Oh, okay.....just checking."  He wiped his face and waved at me.  CS and DB exploded with laughter!

"I think you nearly gave him a heart attack!  Thank god you had on shorts," CS chuckled.

We went through the museum, and CS revealed he'd left the tickets to the Miller party at home on his dresser.  We would NOT get to hobnob with the drivers, after all.  So instead of calling into work, I drove DB back to his house, changed into my uniform, and went to work.

Finals went well, and since EY and I were going to attend the 1st summer session, we stored our stuff at DB's house.  DB's mom agreed to let me stay at her house while I waited for school to begin.

DB went to the race with us that year, and Rick Mears won for the 4th time. 

Next Month:  Heat Wave at the Country Club

***********
Present Day:
I had a rare 'off' night at karaoke last night.  Bombed on both Whole Lotta Shaking Going On and Nasty.  Instead of singing my scheduled 3rd song, I told Brower to put me in for Who Knew, in order to redeem myself.

This weekend, we'll be hauling the final items out of our storage unit, and put that $80 rent back in our budget.

Spring has finally 'sprung'; the temps have been steadily rising from the 60s to the 70s, and now into the 80s.

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: