Friday, November 3, 2017

Flashback Friday: An Eventful Month!

November 1977:
After years of begging for piano lessons (okay, maybe in retrospect I didn't exactly beg, but mentioned it a lot??), my mother finally found a teacher for me, a woman down the street.  Every Saturday I would tuck my beginner's piano book under my arm and walk down, then spend hours every afternoon practicing.

I also learned this would sometimes get me out of setting the table; Mom would start to cook, and I'd start playing the songs I'd learned, plus some I picked up on my own.  But being a wise mommy, she soon caught on to what I was doing!

Someone that Mom knew was looking for a home for their cat, Half-Pint.  Since we were between dogs at the moment, she brought him home and taught me how to care for it.  But a few weeks later, the HP followed me to the bus and ran under it.  I got off and tried to coax him out....but to no avail.  When Mrs. Davis could wait no longer, the front right wheel ran over something.  I spent the rest of the day full of anxiety, sure that she'd just run over my cat.

When I arrived home, a neighbor told me the sad truth, HP had indeed, been run over.  I mourned the loss of that sweet kitty for weeks.

Thanksgiving
We traveled to Blacksburg, Virginia to spend T-day with our friends the Pirkells.  Unfortunately, the stomach flu claimed me, and I spent most of the three-day weekend in bed.  My sister got to attend a college football game and enjoyed herself with Greg and Dana, who were a few years older than me.

Work on the new room was nearly complete; the walls were up, insulated, and the new fireplace installed.  Mom and Dad picked a gray barn siding for that wall, and installed shelves on either side of the brick fireplace.

Next Month:  Christmas with the new fireplace!

***********
Present Day:
Picking up our rental car (insurance is paying for it) and trying to juggle finances.  I'm also getting ready for my Women's Retreat, so I have to have everything ready before my trip to Indy next Wednesday.

Plus, trying to do NaNoWriMo.....think I've got the grand total of 500 words written.

Have a good weekend; I'm setting up at the 1st Fridays downtown tonight, in hopes of making some extra spending money.

No comments: