Friday, September 8, 2017

Flashback Friday: Head Slap Moment

Sept 1977:
Another 6th grade development:  New principal, Mr. Price.  Goodbye, Mr. Kendall.  Also, new PE Teacher, Mr. Z (can't remember his last name; we just called him Mr. Z....and boy was he cute!).

I had an embarrassing moment:  We were picking holiday committees, and I had already decided I wanted to be on the Christmas party one, but my name was called first, and my brain locked up!  For whatever reason, I got confused and thought she wanted me to PICK the people I wanted on the committee, but Mrs. Light grew angry with my confusion and wadded up my name and threw it away, saying, "Make up your minds about which party you want to plan."  She moved onto someone else, leaving me on the verge of tears and positive everyone was making fun of me.

Our School Pictures that year had a new background, bookshelves:)

Granddaddy fell ill and had to have surgery.  He had a heart attack while in the hospital, and Grandma and Grandpa Grauel flew home to be with him and Great-Grandma Geis.  He passed away Sept 30th, much to everyone's shock.

I was devastated.  This was only the 2nd family member I'd lost in the past year (Mom Katzenberger had passed several months earlier, but we only saw her maybe once a year), and while I wasn't particularly close to him, I do have fond memories of him.

He was pretty gruff, hard of hearing, and smoked cigars.  Probably the reason I was slightly afraid of him; my voice was small, and he couldn't hear me.  He'd say to us, "Twooooo minutes!  Twooooo minutes, and I get the yardstick!"

My sister wasn't afraid of him, and spent one afternoon snapping a purse closed in his face; he played along and acted surprised and shaking his finger at her while she shrieked with laughter.  I never had the guts to do anything like that.

Next Month:  Funeral and Fun in PE!

***********
Present Day:
We've been doing some more work on the green house!  Moved 2 stoves out of the front room, and shuffled things around.  Emptied the room off the bathroom/patio, and pulled out a warped headboard; metal head/footboard; shelving; BBQ pit; and several 45 records, including 4 Frank Sinatra, 2 Della Reece, Fats Domino, and one Ray Charles:)  Hopefully they're not TOO damaged; I'm hoping to try them when my stereo is hooked up.

Karaoke:
Did well last night, even leaving my phone in the bathroom.  Didn't notice it until I was 6 blocks from home.....needless to say, I got my exercise last night!

Tomorrow:
Not Gonna Be the One-ONJ
Nothing Compares 2U-Sinead O'Connor
Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You-Glenn Medeiros
November Rain-G-N-R
Nothing But A Good Time-Poison (with Bill!)

No comments: