Friday, September 22, 2017

Flashback Friday: Have We Made A Mistake??

Sept 1997:
Brief Recap:
We moved into our wonderful new home on 7.5 acres of land in the middle of Morgan County.  We'd met a few neighbors, enrolled K in kindergarten, and looked forward to putting down roots.

Growing  Pains:
We moved into our home and that night received the heartbreaking news Princess Diana had died.  Since we didn't have our TV set up, I made it a priority so I could watch the coverage.  My heart ached for Prince William and Prince Harry, who were only teenagers.

We attended a neighborhood picnic, so we'd get to know our new community, and right away, I noticed something 'off'.  Previously, I'd been the one to immediately make friends, while D felt out of place.  During the gathering, I felt out of my element, while D was thrilled to get to know the men.  Only one woman seemed willing to talk to me.

"Pen That Dog Up!  There Are Leash Laws!"
I grew up in the country, and in a neighborhood where the dogs ran around freely.  So, I allowed Shadow, our friendly Norwegian Elkhound, to run around.  This soon angered two of my neighbors.

P would call me and yell about the dog poop in her yard.  S griped Shadow was 'terrorizing' her horses.  We would find bagged up dog poop thrown over the fence.  We went to town one day and left Shadow outside; we found him later tethered to a tree.  S and D informed us he had been 'licking' their 3-m/o daughter's face.  Ummmm, yeah......that's what dogs do???

I called the sheriff's office and asked about the leash law.  Discovering it only pertained to city limits, I informed P the next time she called.  This did nothing to soothe things over; we reluctantly chained up Shadow, who was confused by the sudden policy change.  And continued to find bags of dog poop.

"Call Before You Come Over!"
My next 'beef' with my new neighbors was over kids' visitation policies.  When I was a kid, we cut through yards, knocked on doors, and asked if our friends could come out and play.  I was upset that the two other kindergartners in the area were in the afternoon class, while mine was in the morning.  As soon as the kids came home in the afternoon, my social-6 y/o was off on his bike to find a playmate.  He was confused by parents upset he hadn't called first.  WTH????

My neighbors across the street had a sitter for their son, who was the same age as my S.  One day she and KK came over; S asked if she could play over there.  The sitter and I agreed, and she had a wonderful time.  I would let S go over in the afternoon, and things seemed to be going fine, but then SK called and told me she wasn't paying her sitter to watch my child, and please limit S's visits.  Again. WTH???  The kids were playing together.  It's not like S was also being fed meals or anything!  S seemed confused by the shift in the rules.

I finally 'kidnapped' the twins K and D for a weekend of no drama and playmates for my kids!

Next Month:  Halloween:)

***************
Present Day:
I'm back home after a week at my mom's:)  Attended two events, and did well at one of them.  Mom and I had a busy week:
M-Young At Heart
T:  Retired Teacher's Lunch
W:  I had b'fast with friend Angie, then we went to Small Group Bible Study.
TH:  Lunch at Christos with Cathy C, then I went to Indy for the Sip-n-Shop event.
Today, Dad brought me home.

So I really didn't do much, other than drive Mom around and keep her company!

Tomorrow, Brooke, Nancy, and I are off to Vanderburgh Co Holiday Bazaar.  Hope we do well!

No comments: