Saturday, June 24, 2017

Flashback Friday: Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone

Yes, I realize again that this is really Saturday....but I've had a busy week with VBS.  And to be honest, I think I'm the only one who's actually reading these, so what does it matter if I post a day late?

June 2007:
I heard about a local festival, so I called and got some information about the Wine and Art Festival.  Recognizing I probably wasn't going to sell anything this first year, I nevertheless greeted everyone, acted as 'tour guide', pointed out the bathrooms, and even sampled some wine and secured a free session in an aqua massager.  I also networked with a local shop, who asked if they could host a signing for me at holiday time.

Bouyed by the reaction, I decided to branch out a little and visit other shops and even the local B&B.  Four days later, I received a shock.  A letter arrived from the owner of the B&B, inviting me to 'meet her friend who died on the cross', as she was 'shocked' by the language and 'graphic' content (tame by today's standards, lol!), and would therefore be NOT allowing her guests to read it.

It took me a few days to calm down.  After all, I HAD mentioned it had language and adult situations; she still chose to buy it.  I chalked it up to a learning experience.

I was also getting braver on Blogger, and instead of simply reading a few blogs, I actually commented.  My comments were well received, and soon I was interacting with a woman in Australia, a woman in Boston, and a few women in Michigan.  Some of them even commented on my 'notes' section of my website:)

T and I met for coffee a few times, and he opened up about what had taken place during Super Bowl Sunday at his house.  He expressed sorrow for friends taking sides, and was grateful for the listening ear and shoulder I provided.

Next Month:  I Get A Shock.

***********
Present Day:
VBS is over; I'm spending a relaxing weekend at home, though I may go to Corning Irish Festival on Sunday.


2 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

I read it! Waving my hand here. Not every day, but often. Crummy about the B & B owner. I've never yet figured out how strong-arming people will lead them to your faith.

Molly Daniels said...

LOL Liz! Yay, someone else DOES read this!! Hard to believe we've been online friends for ten years now:) Where did the time go? For the record, I read your WW posts each week too; just don't often have a chance to comment.

Yeah, that incident was the first time I'd ever had my work seriously criticized, and it stung. Thankfully, I didn't try to sell her a Kenzie book; she might have fainted!