Friday, April 7, 2017

Flashback Friday: Fun With Family:)

April 1977: 
One sunny but chilly Saturday, my dad and his friend Don Campbell decided to rent a canoe and paddle down Sugar Creek.  Along with Don's wife Cathy, we dropped them off at the canoe rental place, then drove to Turkey Run.  My sister and I played on the playground, hiked some trails, and ate lunch until it was time to meet the men at the red covered bridge.

While we waited for them to arrive, we waded in the water, skipped stones, and wandered across the bridge.  After they arrived, Dad took each one of us for a brief paddle around the area, and we laughed when it was my sister's turn:  She was so light, her end of the canoe was completely out of the water!

This was the Easter year with the hula-hoops.  I remember taking my blue hoop out to the street and rolling it around, all the while trying not to trip in my long lavender dress.  My sister went out into the grass and tried to hula with it....Mom came out to take our pictures and was non to pleased to discover we both had grass stains on our new white shoes, and in my case, around the hem of my dress!

Later that month, my 5th grade class went to the Barnum and Bailey Circus in Indianapolis, which meant getting up early on a Saturday to catch the bus at school.  I don't remember much, other than enjoying myself, but I wasn't sitting with any of my friends, and couldn't get the barker's attention when I wanted a cracker jack.

I realized I left out a Very Important Aspect of 5th grade:  The Sex-Ed talk, which took place sometime during the 2nd semester.

We were separated into two groups, boys and girls.  We girls were shown 'the movie' which talked about menstruation, changes which were about to occur in our bodies, and of course, sex and pregnancy.  I THINK we were even shown a baby being born, which grossed me out, and I swore I would NEVER have kids.

Next Month:  Breaking The Rules

*************
Present Day:
I've been spending this past week with my parents, and Mom and I have cleared bookshelves, put away the remaining Christmas decorations and pulled out the Easter ones.  Had Arni's on Sunday; lamb chops Mon; O'Charley's on Tues; pork chops Wed, and teriyaki pork tenderloin on Thursday.  I go home sometime tomorrow, for Holy Hell Week (LOL!)


Seriously, the choir sings at Palm Sunday service; that same day I have Chrism Mass practice in Evansville, where I'm also picking up copies of Crossroads.  Chrism Mass on Tuesday, then choir singing Holy Thursday, Easter Vigil, and 7:30am Easter morning.  I predict I'll be taking a nap sometime on Easter.

Have a wonderful and blessed Palm Sunday!

No comments: