Friday, February 19, 2016

Flashback Friday: My Worst Valentine's Day EVER

Feb 1996:
Recap:  I'd angered my spouse for not inviting him to the Olive Garden with me and an old friend.  It caused a huge rift in our marriage, and I was ready to walk out.  He convinced me to stay, but we barely spoke to each other the rest of the month.  Meanwhile, my mother had enlisted my help in finding my great-grandmother an assisted living place....

D continued to fume as my weekly visits with Mom and tours of various assisted living places continued.  When we did settle on a place, we then took on the task of cleaning out her house and getting it ready for sale.  I was still going over weekly to do laundry and pour out my heart on paper.  D came across my scribbles and on Valentine's Day, informed me that as soon as he returned to work, he was going to contact a lawyer and file for divorce.  I was distraught, and sought refuge at Grandma's, not wanting to upset the kids.  While Mom was downstairs, I called my friend to vent my frustrations.  He called me back and calmed me down, telling me not to look at it as a negative, but as a positive:

"Now you can get on with your life and stop making each other miserable.  Chalk it up to a learning experience."

I agreed with him, but still worried about being a single mom with two children under the age of 5.  Could I do this?  I'd have to get a job....possibly move back home.....and with the allegations D was claiming, I stood a chance of losing my kids in a custody battle.  My pride was at stake; what mother wanted to be declared unfit?

I decided since V-day was basically a bust, I'd go all out for the kids.  I made a nice meal; bought them (and myself!) some chocolate.  And tried to ignore the ache in my heart.

The kids and I visited Grandma every week, bringing her raisin bread, grapefruit, and strawberry ice cream.  She was furious at the locked ward, where they kept her temporarily until a room at American Village opened up, and while she wasn't too thrilled at the change of address, she enjoyed our visits.

I grew concerned when she obviously confused me at times with my mother, and at times, didn't recognize the kids.

Next Month:  House Hunting begins!  Plus, What NOT To Do When Emptying A House For Auction....

***************
Present Day:

Karaoke songs:
Karma Chameleon (Culture Club)  Surprisingly, this wasn't too bad!
Keep On Loving You (REO Speedwagon)  Very good!
Kerosene (Miranda Lambert)  Flubbed a few lines, but everyone hi-fived me!



No comments: