Friday, November 27, 2015

Flashback Friday: Somber Thanksgiving

November 2005:
Sometime during the fall of 2005, my MIL fell in her house and broke her back.  She was sent to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, and my spouse promptly irritated me by spending nearly 12 hours a day in the waiting room.  Before you take me to task, hear me out:

-He'd given up his job and wasn't taking any calls for more work, choosing instead to collect unemployment;
-I was at home with the five kids, two of which were in school, and would drive up to the hospital when we could;
-MIL was in a medically-induced coma for two weeks.

I understood his initial response to go be close to her, but as time went on, we could have used the money; his excuse was 'I need to be there in case I need to sign anything'; and to boot, we were a 45 minute drive from the hospital, so we could have been reached in case of emergency.  He COULD have worked for 8 hours, then gone to the hospital to be with her, in my opinion.

Before she was life-lighted up to Indy, we spent four days at the local hospital in Vincennes, and my parents took K, S, and W to Lafayette.  A and J went to other relatives, until we returned home.

In November, my MIL was sent to a rehabilitation facility for two weeks, until she transferred herself back to the one in her home town.  By the time she was placed in the facility, the construction season had ended for the year.

Consequently, we fell farther behind on bills.

**********
Present Day:
Had a nice relaxing day with only two extras (Reagan Winkles aka 'Adoptee #3' and Hunter Mundy) yesterday!  Reagan and I made cheesecakes and pumpkin pies the night before, then I went to karaoke and sang Zombie (The Cranberries) and rocked the house with You and I (Lady Gaga).

Had to be at Sacred Heart at 7:30, then came home and watched the parade before making the deviled eggs, bacon-tomato cups (made the filling the previous evening), rolls, and noodles.  After we'd eaten, I made two chocolate pies and went to bed early.

We will decorate the house sometime this weekend.  As for karaoke tomorrow, I wasn't able to go last weekend, so will sing the same songs:
It's Not Over-Daughtry
Grand Illusion-Styx
It's Only Love-B. Adams/T. Turner
It's Raining Men-Weather Girls
It's So Easy-Linda Ronstadt

27 Shopping Days left til Christmas; 21 Days til my 50th Birthday!
Star Wars Tickets HAVE been bought, whoo hoo!  Going to see it Thursday, Dec 17th at 7pm!!!

No comments: