Friday, August 14, 2015

Flashback Friday: Back To College!

August 1985:
I forgot to mention: In the chaos following Grandpa's death, my roommate assignment arrived, and I was dismayed to note K and I would be in the room next door to where EY was, with three others.  Repeated attempts between the three of us to get back in our desired room were met with frustration.  We were told we could swap after school began. Defeated, I called the other two girls and introduced myself.

When we returned from Florida, another letter from school had arrived, moving me, K, EY, and one of the girls I'd called, to our room:)  We thanked God for His intervention, and I happily packed my things again.

EY and I arrived on Saturday, and discovered that while though only two of the four beds were bunked, we moved K's bed to our side, in hopes that soon another set of bunk beds would be traded for the two singles.  The plan was to put all the beds on one side, then turn the other into our 'living room'.

K arrived and approved the plans.  I worried about alienating J, our new roomie, but kept silent. We went out to dinner and when we returned, we found a stunned J unpacking and wondering why she was alone on that side.  After explaining the plan to her, she relaxed, and E and I were happy when she and K hit things off.

A family friend was also attending the same college, so when he arrived, E and I went to help him move in.

After registration, and buying our books, E was contacted by L,a guy she'd known the previous year.  We went to his apartment and I promptly forgot about not mixing alcohol and painkillers, and was soon sleepy after drinking half a bottle of wine.  L kept saying there was someone who wanted to meet me, but N arrived as I was being taken back to the dorm, and said he'd catch up with me later.

E and I made a pact:
-No skipping classes;
-No partying during the week;
-No sleepovers during the week.

Three days later, N caught up with me and asked if I was going to the dance that evening, then agreed to meet up later.  During the dance, N asked me to go to a party with him.  I said I'd give him an answer soon, then E approached and said L wanted her to go to a party! We agreed, 'Just this once!'and went our separate ways.

"Want To See Where I Live?"
N and I went over to a place on 6th street (incidentally, the same place E was) and started playing Quarters.  N asked me if I'd like to see where he lived, and I said sure.  Later that evening, he introduced me to one of his roommates, then disappeared to another party next door.  Confused, I followed him, and he expressed surprise I still wanted to be with him. He took me back to his house, gave me the grand tour, then pulled back the curtains on a private room downstairs.

"This is where I live."

*needle scratch*  Uh-oh....I realized I'd mistaken his euphemism, taking it at face value!  When I told him I'd not been with anyone since May, he agreed to take things slow.

The next morning, I woke up in an awkward position.  N was still asleep, and I didn't know what to do.  Get up and leave?  Wake him up?  I'd already missed my 8 am Geography class....oops, 3 vows busted.  I decided to wait him out.

After getting back to my room, I hopped in the shower, since my next class wasn't until 11.  Suddenly the door to the bathroom flew open.

"Where the HELL have you been?"

I poked my head out of the shower.  "I, uh, spent the night with N.  Details later; I've got a class in thirty minutes."

E laughed.  "I spent the night with L, but got in around seven.  Confession session after lunch?"

"You got it." I went back to my shower.

E had also hit it off with my friend, and I rather liked D's roommate!  But after being with N, I thought I'd found a new boyfriend.

Boy was I ever wrong!

Next Month:  Swimming Party, Meeting New People, and Mixed Signals, Plus A Labor Day Weekend Disaster!

***********
Present Day:
I'm fighting a bug.  Woke up with a sore throat and unable to catch my balance.  I've napped a lot all day, too.

Went to karaoke last night, but only sang one song, Just Breathe by Anna Nalick. I realized earlier in the day I know the DJ's wife; she used to be one of my 'personal assistants' at Office Max:)  Brower said she remembered me too, and was surprised I'd not mentioned my author status to him.  I told him it wasn't something I brought up unless asked, and since I'd only known him for a month, I hadn't felt the need to volunteer that information!

Tomorrow's Songs:
If I Can't Have You-Yvonne Elliman
Behind These Hazel Eyes-Kelly Clarkson
If You Love Me-Olivia Newton-John
If You See Him-Reba/Brooks and Dunn

No comments: