Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Problem Solved!


Since I’ve been having issues with book #8, I thought I’d sit down with Lynne and pick her brain a little.

Hi Lynne.  How was your extended vacation?

Very well thanks!  Sorry; I just couldn’t stomach that red-haired kid you paired me with.

I had an epiphany of sorts this morning; how would you feel if I paired you with Shane?

(spits out her coffee)  SHANE?  You’re gonna pair me with playboy SHANE?  Oh good lord…..

Wait, wait, wait….here me out.  Nick goes off to Duke, and Shane knows both of you better than whatever-the-hell-I-named-the-red-haired-guy does.  And since I got the sense you quit ‘talking’ to me because of the zero chemistry-thing, and Shane really doesn’t have a storyline…

So it’s a pity-thing?  He’s gonna see right through that.

No; not that.  You two already have your tense moments, and I thought we could play with that.  Pairing you with a computer geek didn’t exactly work, so I thought another ball player-

Now I see where you’re going!  Keep talking.  So how do we ‘get together?’

I thought I’d keep it along the same lines as already written.  You return from NC tired, bitter, and Shane’s the first person you run into back on campus.  The sight of him reminds you of Nick, so you light into him, and in the process, he holds you to get you to stop hitting him.  Then exhaustion takes over….and common sense returns…..but the seed has been planted.

I’m not sure which way I want to tackle the racial issue; have your parents object, have his parents object, or both….and for sure have fellow students voice their issues.  So if you’re game, I’ll need you to stick around the rest of this month or so.  I need to get your book written, if we have any hope of it coming out next year.

You’re that close?  Wow….

Yes.  Caty’s book arrives in Feb; Stephanie’s in March, and I’m submitting Susan’s sometime around that time; I’ll be cleaning hers up in Jan, with the hopes of getting it subbed by the month’s end.  And then there’s yours.

I see.  You’ve been busy while I’ve been away!

Yes, I have.  And I’m going to have to interview some 500 princesses or Queens, so if I get remotely close to that process by Feb or March, I’ll be thrilled.

I’m going to compete for a 500 Princess?  Awesome!

Then Nick will see what he let go.

Do we ever get back together?

Not sure at this point.  I’ve written the finale, but don’t think you’re mentioned, except in context of dating Nick.  And that’s not written in stone.  And you don’t have to stay with Shane.  Just for the sake of this story.   And I’ll have to write some of it in book #9, which I’m also trying to ‘flesh out’ at the moment. 

Who’s the main character of #9? 

Donna.  It’s the Gambling Addiction one.  Or Kathy, with the adoption.  Then Tara and the snow issue, and an unnamed character with the drugs.  Then Cassie and her younger man, then the Reunion.  At this rate, I’ll have Arbor U knocked out by the year 2014 or 15.  Just depends on if I can get everyone to talk to me at some point.

You’re doing well, lady.  What’s after Arbor U?

Probably stay on the tame side of Romance…and finish my zombie story.  Thanks Lynne; sorry to yank you back to Reality here.

Write it well, and I’ll stay in your head.  But one more misstep, and I’m running back to Nicky.

No comments: