Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Autumn!



Forgive me; my brain apparently went on vacation yesterday, and forgot to post this!  Here's the list of other Autumn Harvest authors:)  Here are the prizes:


1st Grand Prize: A Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet
2nd Grand Prize: A $50 Amazon or B&N Gift Card
3rd Grand Prize: A Swag Pack that contains 10+ paperbacks, ebooks, 50+ bookmarks, cover flats, magnets, pens, coffee cozies, and more!


First of all, a pressing question:  Does Back To School Time count as 'autumn'?  Because if yes, then that's one of the best things about Fall:  I get my life back.  No more worrying if the kids are occupied, or running them here and there.  No, from 8am - 2:30, I'm free to write my little heart out:)  Providing, of course, the spouse doesn't have a lot of errands or other projects planned.....

If 'no, it doesn't count' is the answer, then I like the slightly cooler temps (notice I said slightly cooler, lol!) and the fun I have setting up at the fall festivals, providing the weather cooperates, or we're indoors.  And when we lived at our old house, I'd get out the rake and hatchet and spend time in our woods, clearing away the dead stuff for bonfires.  And of course, who doesn't love Halloween?

In Balancing Act, Gretchen gets a surprise visit one chilly Autumn day.  Enjoy!


“Kate's worried about you. She says you hardly call home anymore, and when you do, it's not as filled in as much, you know, like you're hiding something or holding back.”

“So what?” Gretchen averted her eyes. “I don't always have to tell Gramma everything I do.” She busied herself with stirring her nadacolada. Oh great. Grandma sent him to check up on me?

“I know. I've kept secrets from my folks too. Are you and Joe having problems?”

Gretchen looked up, surprised. “No!” Hold on; this is Troy you’re talking to. He can spot a lie a mile away. “I mean, just the usual spats. That's all.”

“Sure that's all?” Troy looked concerned. “Gretchen, I don't want to pry, but, well, you don't look the same.”

“So don't. I am fine, Joe and I are okay, and school is going okay. What do I have to do to get that through your head?” Gretchen insisted in a low, fierce tone.

“Whoa! Okay, all right if you say so.” Troy held up his hands and leaned back in his chair. “I'm just expressing concern. Don’t get your panties in a bunch.” He patted her hand.

Their food arrived; Gretchen concentrated on her chimichanga and fought the rising flood of emotions.

I can't tell him the truth! He'll tell Gramma, and she'll worry. I just have to get through this myself. She forced the panic aside and smiled.

“How many girls did you pick up with that line, I could get shipped out tomorrow?”

“Actually, that's something else I wanted to talk to you about.” Troy took a bite of his steak fajita and laid down his fork. He reached for Gretchen's hand. “My unit leaves for Egypt in a couple of weeks, and I'm pretty sure we'll be there for six months or so.”

Gretchen felt the blood drain from her face. “S-six months? But why?”

“I'm not supposed to say much more, other than it's some kind of war exercise.” Troy lowered his voice and leaned closer. “Gretchen, if you needed to get a hold of me, I'll be out of the country, and I wanted to make sure you’re all right before I left. I also wanted you to hear it from me, face-to-face, and not over the phone.”

“I told you, I'm fine.” She jerked her hand away. He’s leaving? Why do I care? He’s not my boyfriend, but I’ll miss him over the holidays. “Will you still be here for Thanksgiving?”

“I don't know. I think so, but I can't make any promises. This is my last weekend of my leave, and I wanted to see you before I left. I didn't want to chance missing you at the end of the month.”

“Oh.” Why does this bother me so much?

Was autumn the beginning of a new romance for you?  Or did it happen more in the spring?  And weigh in on the question of BTS is included in the autumn, or if it's a continuation of summer, or even the '5th Season'.  I'll draw a winner out of the hat on Tuesday.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly. :)
Autumn is when hubby and I said our vows, so it's always got a special place in my heart. That day was one of the best in my life, and the most memorable. :)

bidelia78@yahoo.com

L.C.D. said...

since i haven't fallen in love yet, i can't say as to if that is why it holds a special place in my heart. but, since for me, fall is a reminder of loved ones that are no longer here, i can say that it means so much to me. the changing colors of the leaves, then them falling...reminds me of my grandparents. their hair changed color, going from black to silver. then they went home to Glory to be with their babies and to watch over us from afar. I miss them, but I feel with each falling leaf, their saying we're still here, just not as visible.

JanD said...

Autumn reminds me of cooler temperature, leaves changing color, and pumpkin pie. Back to school counts because I have to watch out for those school zones when driving.
bituin76 (at) hotmail (dot) com