Friday, April 27, 2012

Flashback Friday: 'Ch-ch--changes....'

April 2002:
My son's 4th grade teacher approached me in mid-April, to tell me she was no longer the HS Girl's Softball coach, and told me who the new coach would be, so concessions would be taken care of.  I told her I'd been replaced, but would pass along the information.  She expressed her disappointment.  Later that month, K's class took a trip to Conner Prairie, and I enjoyed going along as chaperon.

Toward the end of April, the phone calls began to come in, with complaints.
"L didn't have the stand open for my daughter's HS game..."


"L's not letting me work in the stand..." (this from one of the HS boys who particularly loved to help out)

"L's making all sorts of dumb changes....and I don't think she's cleaning the cheese machine properly..."


"Can't you open a rival stand?" (This from my own child, lol!)

L herself asked me if I'd be willing to help out; I told her to contact me when she needed me.

My spouse hadn't returned to work yet, so finances were tight.  Instead of just putting a $20 bill in the cash box every game day, we didn't have the cash to access the stand, and my spouse was still furious, and refused to buy anything.  So I packed a cooler full of drinks and snacks.  And later heard a rumor that we were boycotting the stand.  I told my friends about our financial situation, and the rumor was squelched.

Next month:  Disappointment from Visiting Teams and coaches.

At work, a story began swirling in my brain, begging to be written.  I found out the monitor I'd replaced was about to return to work; I began counting down the days til I could 'sleep in' again!

Present Day:
Have a busy weekend ahead!  Tonight, depending on the weather, we will either be at baseball practice with the youngling, or bowling with the Cub Scouts.

Tomorrow, we begin the day with 1st Communion practice for youngling, then while he's at his 1st game, I'll be throwing the daughter a baby shower.  Hopefully I'll be able to see at least an inning or two of my baby's first game afterward!

Sunday is 1st Communion, and I'll be singing in the choir before the service.  At this point, I'm not sure if the grandparents or my oldest will be able to attend.  My mother's not well, and K's been trying to switch his work schedule for two weeks.  But no one will swap his 8:15 Sunday shift.  He's bummed out, but I reminded him we'd see him the following week after his finals.  We'll see what happens Saturday night.

I'm off to clean the house:)  Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

Concession stands can be come very political entities, can't they? Good luck with that!

Molly Daniels said...

I never dreamed I'd be caught in such drama! Geez....it was supposed to be all about the KIDS.