Friday, January 27, 2012

Flashback Friday

Jan 2002:
Recap:  I'd been forced out of my position in the Youth Baseball League concession stand; my son excelled on the football team, causing a jealous reaction from a neighbor; and I was now working at the school as a substitute bus monitor.

I received a phone call from one of the baseball moms, wanting to know if I'd agree to be her assistant softball coach.  I really didn't want the job, but my daughter was going to be on the team, and the spouse said he'd be willing to do all the work; he just didn't want to attend the coaches meeting.  He was still furious at H and L for the way they'd treated me.  I also received a phone call from the Girls' Representative:  Due to my excellent management of the concession stand during the tournaments, we'd be hosting three tournaments next summer, and did I see any issues with L's management?

"She worked with me closely for two years; she saw everything I did, so it shouldn't be a problem."


"Are you going to help out? I'd feel better if I knew you were going to be there."

Honestly, I was torn.  Part of me wanted nothing to do with the stand; the other half wanted to graciously accept my 'demotion' and help out 'for the kids'.  But my spouse was adamant I keep my distance.

"We'll see what happens next summer.  I'll see you at the coaches meeting next month."

Present Day:
I've caught another cold and am sneezing my head off.  Also got some good news yesterday:  My ARC of Forbidden Love will be arriving soon; I hope it arrives today, along with a release date!  So look for good news next week, and I'll get some excerpts posted.  I know I've been a bad blogger this week.

Wednesday night at karaoke, I was able to sing seven songs:
-Bop by Dan Seals (this was too low, but Cheryl said she had it in another key, so I'll try it again next week!)
-Black and White by 3 Dog Night (was high-fived by a bar patron:)
-Breaking Up Is Hard To Do by Neil Sedaka (nailed it:)
-Breathe by Breaking Benjamin (was high-fived by another patron, but I need more practice!)
-Baby Love by Supremes (nailed it)
-Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day (botched it horribly.  Sounded better when I had crowd participation several weeks back, lol!)
-Back in My Arms Again by Supremes (botched it; I only knew the chorus!  Will try again next week.)

Youngling has a fever this morning, so not sure if he'll attend his final basketball game tomorrow.  And next week he starts wrestling practice, which thankfully does NOT interfere with cub scouts or my weekly writer's meeting!

Have a good weekend, and don't forget to check out Kenzie's Sunday post on The Writer's Evo.

No comments: