Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"How Do I Get Published?"

This question was posed recently, and my knee-jerk reaction was to tell the person, "Don't do it the way I did." My next question was what genre? He hadn't a clue. So I asked him to tell me about his story. After a few moments, I determined he was writing fantasy, with a little sci-fi thrown in.

Now we're getting somewhere. Is the book finished? Not yet, but soon. Even better. Now we can start to search for publishers.

Here's what I told him:

-Write the book. Edit. Get someone else to read it, and make constructive comments.

-Go to the P&E site and search publishers, or google Fantasy Publishers, and double-check with P&E.

-Write a query letter and send it off.

-Get online and find a group of authors and writers to network with, within the genre.

-Join social media. I happen to be a fan of Facebook, but there are others addicted to Twitter and GoodReads. Start a blog; get a website. Anything to start getting your name out there.

-And Keep Writing:)

Anything else I should tell him next week?

It's That Time Of Year Again!
I picked UALR and Clemson to win last night. Only Clemson won. And I discovered I can watch the games on my laptop:) I no longer have to 'torture' my family by monopolizing the TV:) I don't know if this will hold true once the other games start on Thursday, but at least tonight I can watch to my heart's content...taking a break for Survivor, naturally:)

Tonight:
Alabama St
USC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to Survivor tonight. It's a family show now. We all watch! :)

anny cook said...

You did a lovely job!