Thursday, January 6, 2011

There's Something Wrong in the World Today...

I nearly choked when my copy of TV Guide arrived. I thought I was going to read yet another article on how Faith-based shows were making a comeback. Imagine my surprise when I read the following:

"...the Vatican newspaper praised Homer Simpson for being a 'true' Catholic."; and went on to say the Simpson family "recites prayers before meals and, in their own way, believes in the life thereafter."

What??? (needle scratch)


Whoa....if that's the case, then my lazy SU and his entire irreverent family are to be commended. And another reason why I refuse to convert.

I was taught that being a 'Fat Baby', or a 'Sunday Christian' wasn't cool. You have to walk the walk, talk the talk. What comes out of your mouth and how you live your life is a reflection of your relationship with God and Christ.

Now granted, everyone slips up. My parents aren't perfect, and yes, I've heard them fight and swear. Just not constantly. And I don't recall my mother walking out of the church after a service and uttering a single swear word as soon as she got into the car.

But it's nothing for my SU to start taking the Lord's name in vain the minute he closes the driver's door.

I encourage my kids not to utter any curse words while in mixed company, and lately I've had to remind my 6-yr-old he's too young to say 'Crap' or 'Sucks'. Years ago, I gave up the 'F' word for Lent, when I realized it was letting it fly more often than I was comfortable saying.

A little hard to do, when I hear kids using the tamer language on ABC Family or even Disney channels.

Am I the only one who loved Highway to Heaven and Touched By an Angel?

And yes, I know a person's faith does not necessarily reflect their lives; after all, I don't write Christian Inspirational stories.

But it just turned my stomach to have TV Guide confirm (throw it in my face??) that I married Homer Simpson.

4 comments:

Carol Preflatish said...

One of the funniest things I've ever heard was from the minister that married my husband and I, and also worked for my dad at his gas station. He was helping to push a car that wouldn't start and as he pushed he stepped in a muddy puddle he didn't see come from under the car. He let the four-letter S-word slip. I died laughing and so did he.

Mia Watts said...

Moll! Where's Kenzie these days? When you see her, she needs to update her blog or there's no reason to comment. Let her know, huh?

Good blog. It's actually a subject I struggle with. But you know what? God created great sex too. ;)

Molly Daniels said...

You bet, Mia:) Kenzie will be back as soon as the internet issue is resolved.

Carol, when I was 15, I heard one of the senior girls at church say 'crap' and I decided if she could say it, I could too!

Anonymous said...

Mia! You miss me??? As soon as I'm allowed access to the internet, I'll definitely post.

Kenzie