Friday, October 22, 2010

Flashback Friday

1990:
As predicted, The Idiot's plan to 'start fresh' didn't last long. I really don't remember much about the month of October, other than dressing up like a penguin in my server's outfit at the day job. This may have been about the time I began bringing my typewriter to work and having the more advanced 'kids' typing letters to people.

I'm not sure what month it actually happened, but one of my co-workers and I managed to stretch an errand which normally only took an hour into three. Why? First the van overheated halfway to the school, where we sent to pick up a sick kid. We stopped to let it cool down, and spent fifteen minutes hanging around a convenience store. The second time it overheated, we were only a few miles up the road, and J, who was driving, said he thought he smelled smoke. We stopped and opened the hood. Sure enough, the engine was on fire.

Fortunately, there was a pay phone (remember those?) nearby, so he went and called first the fire department, then the facility to let them know we needed another van. After the fire department put out the fire and the report filled out, R arrived with the other van. He got out and came over to us to assess the damage. Two seconds later, we heard a crash. R had forgotten to put the van into 'park', as he was used to driving a stick shift, and the van had rolled downhill and into an empty semi trailer. The boys sent me to make sure no one was in the trailer and that only minimal damage had occurred. We then picked up the sick child and returned to the facility. More accident forms to fill out, and since we'd missed lunch, the day was officially over for both J and myself. The next shift had already taken over for the afternoon:)

I also put in my request to be considered for the Social Worker's position; ours had been fired, and our Activities Director had been pulling double duty. And when the director found out about my ASW degree, she handed me the application.

As for the weekend job, I continued to let them think I needed Saturdays off, and worked private parties or wherever I was needed, making sure to still clock out around eleven. I was also invited to a friend's house in November, so I went ahead and requested the second weekend in November off. Little did I know another turning point was about to happen!

Happy Release Day to Linda Kage!


********************BLURB********************
It's not every day you learn you have a nine-year-old daughter.

Boston Kincaid and Ellie Trenton have a bad past. After dating for two semesters in college, they experience a rough break, and Ellie miscarries Boston’s child…or so she tells him. Ten years later, a nine-year-old girl seeks Boston, wanting to get to know her father. Though Boston returns to Ellie’s life merely for his daughter’s sake, he realizes he never quite got over that long ago romance.

Boston and Ellie’s decade apart melts away, and that magical chemistry between them flares back to life. But trust doesn’t come easily, and old wounds never healed properly.

Can Boston and Ellie learn to forgive and forget so they can experience the love they never shared, or will child custody battles keep them apart forever?

Go here for an excerpt:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're gonna leave us hanging again? Thanks. :P

Molly Daniels said...

Hey...gotta do something to keep bringing you back every Friday:) LOL!

Linda Kage said...

Wow, what a year. Why does it always seems like big events like that come in clusters of total chaos? And I'm with Amber, what happened next?!?!?


Thanks for the shout out. I'm blushing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.