Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Welcome Author Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner:)

Currently Reading: I finished Michael Crichton's Sphere last night; creepy! Next up: Come Love A Stranger by Kathleen Woodiwiss, apparently one I missed over the years. And after spending the past week inventoring every book in our store, I have a stack behind the counter, plus more starred on my personal sheet, so if they sell before I get to them, I can order more copies:)

I love my job!

E-book-wise, I'm still on Bronwyn Green's Best Laid Plans. Sorry Bron; been so
busy I've only picked up my e-reader to show it off!

Today, we're undergoing a surprise housing inspection and I'm taking the SU to an eye appointment. Please pray our house is not condemned, and we'll be able to stay here. Or, if it IS condemned, we'll be able to find affordable housing in the same elementary school district. God is in control; not us. Since so much is going on, I'm turning my blog over to Melanie today. I'll be back on Friday:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.


Hello, Everyone! I’m Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner and I write Romantic Novels and Children’s Books as well as Newspaper Articles and also Short Stories in many areas. I live in New Miami, Ohio and am a descendant of Appalachian parents on both sides and with music flowing in my blood from both sides of the families well as Shawnee / Cherokee Blood.

Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?

No. really I have all the pieces sketched out in my mind and I flow straight into a mania writing frenzy till finished which seems to be a never ending continuance into other stories that jump into my mind from one works to another.


Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?

Yes, I have as it gives spice to add your own life into certain writings to share with everyone as well as stretching your mind and values in a good write.

How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?

My research has been in my Appalachian up bringing. Patience for knowledge and variety. Romance tweaks my soul as I write in Historical Romance as well jotting back to my ancestor’s in history with both families coming from great royalty backgrounds,

,on the Ridner side of the family in the Courts of Marie Antoinette giving us lands in Kentucky to the Czar of Austria giving us lands in Virginia of the Shifflett Family and the singer cousin the great Patsy Cline and the Shenandoah Valley. With both moving here meeting with our Appalachian Shawnee /Cherokee Heritage makes for great writing in all my works.


Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?

Reading and education is our greatest treasure to give and hand down to future generations and writer’s today. Dreams come hard in these torn times and a book can bring even the poorest person relief with just a swipe of the pen or computer today.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?

I am both a plotter and a pantser. Different books call for strategic measures to capture the one’s heart and mind in todays over flowing marketplace.


How long did it take for you to be published?

I was published in music and books right away as my works reached out to so many in different areas of the writing world. .I started writing in nineteen ninety four and that was Poetry then and went right into music with a trip to Nashville,Tennessee and for my Poetry writing and music writing for two television shows. Then I worked as hard as I could teaching myself as much as I could to do everything I wanted to get my works out there and it has been very rewarding for me-in many ways and with many publisher’s and some Royalties.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

Never let anything stop you from gaining education and wisdom in your work. Never stop and only believe half of what you see and hear because everything is out there for all of us authors and we can make it work for all of us no matter how full the market gets. Our writing is our heritage and something fabulous to hand down to future writers and authors to come. There is no quitting the feel you get when you give of your heart and soul to pen, paper or computer works as we know of the book industry today.
Writing is an art and thank goodness it reaches out and calls us like a siren on the sea with eagerness and anticipation to achieve our reader’s souls.

Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?

I would say clearly all three do me well. Some things need wrote down like my Children’s Books and other’s need ink to look good in strategic ways for the feel and other’s need the laptop and I work with all, always have and always will. A real must have is peace and quiet and a time and place to think which seems to on going in my mind each and every day whether I am a sleep or awake .My dreams come readily and help excel in all.

Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?

As a child I read Nancy Drew and also The Black Stallion and then onto the Angelique Series. My favorite author or shall I say author’s are Ray Bradbury, Sidney Sheldon and so many other’s that dazzle my mind and life into knowing that writing is a true art and we do what we do and live life to excel in all our own ways.

Favorite drink?

My favorite I drink is water because it clears the mind, body and soul and it helps keep one healthy well and wise.LOL

Do you have any special Labor Day traditions?

Not really I just work and write and relax in the evening with something romantic.

McDonald’s or Burger King?

I for one am a Burger King Fisher, light on the sauce because their fish is the best.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

That I am a most giving and caring person that helps everyone out in any way I can. Call me if you need computer help or advice or even a donation to worthy causes which I belong to www.modestneeds.org and help them in all ways.

Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

Thank you so much for having me, Molly! I had a great time!

My books are available in print and e-book and can be found on my publisher’s web site http://www.lulu.com under Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner and also at http://www.writelife.com and also at http://www.amazon.com: also at http://createspace.com


The e-book editions are available in multiple formats such as Kindle.

Blurb for “Fairies Towne “Children’s Book Series

“Fairies

This is my introduction to my New Children’s Books “Fairies Towne” Twelve Book Series. These books are fresh for children and the way they see and interact with the living world. They are a twelve book library of stories.

“Fairies Towne”

Series Books # 1-12


Fairies Towne Parent Reading Collector Edition for Parents # 1& # 2

For Children


In a land far, far away comes this delightful twelve book series for children to learn and dream and grow with.

Where fairies live and work and join together to over come many things on their own as they grow with your child.

Where caring, friendship and many other learning tools help your child to understand the politeness or as some say political correctness of the world we live in today.

....Fairies.....Town.... are a place for dreams and a place for education for one growing up.

A lesson for your child in each story.

With many good fairies to help and guide your child as they listen and learn to read.

Welcome to my first twelve book set of Children’s Books.

I made these books for a Child’s heart .It is filled with stories to help parents read and educate their children with many aspects of today’s world. These books are created for parents and children to read and interact with each other .They have been a joy to write for me. I have also inserted a page in each book for your children to put their name and date when they received one so they may keep them as a keepsake for years to come and pass them down to their own children .I hope everyone enjoys them .From my heart to all parents and their children. God Bless all the little children.





“Dear Patsy"

“Dear Patsy” “If I Had Only Known You”

:

ISBN553900

This Book and Story is

“Dedicated “

“To The Great Pasty Cline and my Mother “Lue Grey (Shifflett) Mau.”

The Greatest Women to so many in the Music World.

On March 5 the, 1963 the world lost a most valuable women.

The woman was my Cousin the Great Patsy Cline .A woman who brought so much to the music empire.

Her voice the sounds of a true rich songbird.

A Pioneer of a woman who made her mark and stamped her arts for the entire world

Many still listen to her great works today.

Many still mourn this Great Artist.

I as a Shifflett Cousin wish so much had been so different on that fatal day of her crash.

....Nashville.... still mourns her and so do all her many friends.

“God Bless you my Cousin”

I know you sing for all yet in the kingdom above.

You and your music will forever continue on.

“Always”

Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner

Live and selling on:

http://www.amazon.com

http://www.lulu.com

http://www.createspace.com

Amazon Kindle


5 comments:

Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner said...

Thank you so much for having me here as a guest today Molly.
It has been a honor to be on your blog.
I enjoy reading you and hope you keep up the great work.
Thank you again.
Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner
ASCAP 6 X's Award winning Songwriter and Author

Miranda Stowe said...

Hi, Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner!! I love the cover on your Faerie book. Beautiful.

I've never tried the fish at Burger King, but I'm going to have to now. Thanks.

Nice to meet you!

Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner said...

Hi Miranda Stowe,
Thank you for your kind comments and Yes,the fish is excellant.
Give me a look see on the internet and you can read all about me and even hear some of the music as well.And please if you feel like it to post this amazing blog everywhere as Molly is a dear Friend.In the futre I hope to have my blog running well so I can promote all authors as well.
Thank you:)
Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner

Paidra Delayno said...

Melanie,
What a great read. It always fascinates me to read about an author's path to getting a book on the shelves. I know that so much of she or he goes into a book, especially the first ones. Many of the more famous authors are simply writing machines with others doing the bulk of the work so it's nice to hear about one who is still very active in her craft.

Melanie Marie Shifflett Ridner said...

Thank you my dear friend Paidra,
As you know I am very active and will continue to be so.
Thank you for your comment as I am working right now on something new and will continue the children's books as well in the winter.
I do write in many areas and ,Yes and author can have many names and faces as well.It is a true art to be a writer and author and I work it all to keep reader's interested and sell many of my works and publish them myself as the Royalties seem to be better and I don't have to mess with publisher's if I don't want to.It is a feeling of freedom for me and I love it and it does pay off.Silly fingers done it again.LOL