Monday, March 16, 2009

They Did Whaaaat?

Currently Reading: Emerald Green by Desiree Holt. My son took over the computer yesterday, so I caught up on my 90210 reruns. Only 17 more episodes to go, and my Saturday mornings will be back to 'normal':) Unless I decide to start watching 7th Heaven...


Last Friday, the show The Doctors caught my attention. The topic was about the extreme measures some women take in order to feel beautiful. Two of the stories made me want to gag, and the third had me clutching my feet in horror.

The first one was a 'Thirty Minute Face Lift', in which various 'sugars/proteins/whatever-the-plastic surgeon-said' were injected into different parts of the face. Since I happen to hate needles, and it's only been nine years since I've had stitches in my forehead, I couldn't believe anyone would willingly do this, simply to look younger. And her 'before' picture wasn't that awful! I don't remember how old she was; all I could think of was, 'she spent how much money for that?' I really didn't see any difference in the 'after' picture. I think I'll stick with my Mary Kay regime, thankyouverymuch...

The second was about changing the color of your eyes. Don't want colored contacts? Get these new and improved lens implants! I believe I've mentioned my eye phobia before...I'll stick with the eye color God gave me.

The last one had me wondering about the sanity of both the woman and her husband. Apparently she's in the fashion industry (it didn't say as what) and loves her designer shoes. BUT...she's got so many corns, bunions, etc, it hurts her to wear them, and she "just doesn't feel sexy anymore when we go out and my feet hurt so badly..." Her solution? She had the bones in her toes shaved so she could fit into her shoes!

Her husband actually went on camera and stated, "I want my wife to be able to look and feel sexy in her shoes. She looks so good in them..."

Okay. Is he enabling her in her self-image problem? And what happens when and if this couple has kids? Yes...she's late 20's, early 30's people!

Couldn't she just buy her favorite pair in a larger size? I had a toe giving me problems several years back, and being the stubborn idiot I am, I tried everything before doing the surgery route. Which included wearing tennis shoes to a dance, instead of my dressy flats. And I've been blessed with friends who didn't look at me in horror and say, 'You're wearing that?" We ended up having a great time, and no one criticized my footwear!

I guess I've never been vain enough to care about certain issues. Yes, I cover up my graying hair; I want to drop a few pounds for my upcoming reunion; I'm not proud of the way I look in a swim suit and concede I'll never wear a bikini again. But over all, I'm happy with the way I look, and don't feel as if I need extreme measures to make me feel sexy.

3 comments:

Gracen Miller said...

I ditto everything you just said! I don't get the extreme vanity side of it either. Sure, I can be vain about somethings (my mature blonde *coughGraycough* for one), but I'm not willing to go the extra *coughExtremecough* measures it takes to get the type of results you're talking about. Sure, I'd love to drop more than a few pounds, but like you, I know I'll never wear a size 4 again. *rolls eyes* I'd just love to be a size 8 again. I don't care if I never wear a bikini again, I'm more comfortable in a one-piece cavorting the beach or pool with my boys without having to worry about exposing myself.

Great blog! I love the doctors too, although I don't catch them as often as I'd like.

BTW, if you're interested, Sierra and Tierney have created their own blog, Wicked Thorn and Roses. Its link is: http://wickedthornandroses.blogspot.com/?zx=a353ebb45955b876

*sighs* Now I just got to figure out what, if anything, that I'm going to do.

Regina Carlysle said...

This stuff is just gross. Nope.I'm with you. There's much to be said for growing old gracefully. Who needs stilettos anyway?

Mia Watts said...

Shaved feet. Exchanging one problem for another. I would think aging would make treated areas achey and pained.