Saturday, February 14, 2009

Saturday's Stupid Saying...and Happy Valentine's Day!

When asked to walk in a straight line after being pulled over on suspicion of DUI...

You're going to have to give me a little longer. This is tougher when you've been drinking.
Illinois woman, quoted in the Bloomington, Indiana Pantagraph.

Earliest Valentine's Memory
I remember the 4th grade party. I 'just knew' I was in love with A; we played together on the playground and we always picked each other for study partners or in Gym. On Valentine's Day, he presented me with a beautiful, handmade heart made of tissue paper and tucked into a shoebox lid frame, with 'Be Mine' in the center of the heart.

We lived a mile from each other, him uphill from me. I was allowed to ride my bike to the railroad tracks, probably 100 yards from his house. Being the well-mannered child I was, I'd ride my bike to the tracks and stand there for a few minutes each day during the summer. Sometimes he'd be waiting for me on his side of the tracks, and we'd talk for a while before turning around and returning home.

Why didn't I simply cross the tracks and go knock on his door? My little sister, age 5, was usually with me, and I knew she'd tell on me if I broke the rules! She also informed the parents why I was making so many bike trips!

By Halloween, we had moved on to other 'love interests'!

Modern Day Valentine's
Bought my spouse some sugar-free candy; the kids have the 'I Heart U' candy, and the toddler has his tiny heart of chocolates. I bought myself a Ghiridelli heart, and the spouse let me pick out beautiful red tulips the other day. I got the ones that hadn't opened yet; they are still only slightly closed, and the one bud on the plant has turned scarlet and is still green at the tips.

What did your sweetie (or kids) do for you? Or did you have to buy your own too?

Since we're not getting our tax money until Friday, I'll be fixing a nice meal and a red velvet cake decorated with candy hearts. Next week, he's promised me a trip to Terre Haute!

2 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

Aren't the tulips gorgeous? I have em too and they're wonderful. My daughter and I were talking yesterday about all the little valentines she'd fill out to give to classmates when she was little. She reminded me of the box of "powerpuff girls" cards we got one year and had to laugh.

Molly Daniels said...

OMG! I remember PowerPuff girls! The only one I can remember now is Buttercup...