Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Flashback to Childhood

Currently Reading: Am buying Vickie Burkholder's Danger on XY; Sandra Cox's Rose Quartz; Cheryl Dragon's Inking Aaron; and Miss Cindy Spencer Pape's The Cowboy's Christmas Bride. Has anyone else read these? I'm looking forward to all of them! Next week, I'll post my November reading schedule. Since I'm not going to kill myself with the NaNo word count, I'll still be able to read. I probably won't read as many though. It all depends on the length of the books, and how quickly they keep me scrolling!

HELP! I cannot find Lesli Muir Lytell's Kidnapping Romeo anywhere! If you know where I can find it, please let me know? I can't remember if I got this from a blog or a chat somewhere!


"You're not gonna be on my TV, are you?"

Saw this on the news this morning. Michelle Obama was on Letterman last night, and when she and her husband were discussing their latest political strategy (Barak Obama purchased air-time on several networks for Wednesday night), their ten-year-old daughter piped up with this question! And while everyone laughed and the presidential nominee assured his daughter he did not buy air-time on either Disney or Nickelodean, I remembered something from my own childhood.

Remember 'back in the dark ages' (according to my own children, ha ha!) when we only had 3 channels to choose from? We could choose between 6 (ABC), 13 (NBC), 18 (CBS) and for whatever reason, in BAD weather (snowstorms!) we could pick up channels 4 (ran cartoons, Lone Ranger, and other 'fantastic shows') and 20 (PBS).

For whatever reason, during a particular time in my life, it seemed every time we wanted to watch Happy Days, or The Wonderful World of Disney, or Charlie's Angels, the President was on the air, giving a (boring) speech! There was NOTHING to watch! And half the time my parents didn't even watch it, though they read the newspaper.

As an adult looking back, I think I remember it now having to do with our hostages in Iran. But my most vivid memories were to 'get Carter out of office, because he's always on TV!'

The news anchors this morning joked that if Barak had bought time on Disney or Nick, then he would have lost his own daughter's vote. As my own memories of age 10, 11, and 12, they're not that far off the mark! Good thing kids can't vote, right?

And while I'm on the subject, what does everyone think about those insane Paris Hilton 'For President' videos that keep popping up?

Okay, enough of that.

My boys are well this morning; I have a quiet house again. I only have 3 loads of laundry to finish; I knocked out another page on my wip yesterday (yay!), and if everything goes the way I hope tonight, I should have a nice announcement for everyone tomorrow. Okay, maybe two! So be sure to check back tomorrow.

Gas Update:
Hubby filled up for $2.17 in Franklin, IN last night!

Brrrr...
Woke up to a low of 41 degrees. Wind chill was 37. Anyone want to travel to Florida with me?

And Speaking of Florida...
Check out Ashley Ladd's blog; she's been addressing some veeeeery interesting issues concerning writing/publishing/industry in general. Wonder what she's got up her sleeve for today?

4 comments:

Regina Carlysle said...

Oooh, you have some good stuff on your TBR list. Sandra and Cindy. YAY!

I'm a big political junkie but I even have to admit, I'm ready for this to end. Hasn't this been the longest campaign season EVER??? I already voted so YAY, no long lines to deal with.

Anonymous said...

yep. We'll have a high of 50 today but the sun's out so I can't complain. Chilly here and I never expected that.

Sandra Cox said...

$2.17? WooHoo!
Waiting for your announcement.....

Unknown said...

Thanks Molly!

Gas in my area is $2.71 and up except for one station that was $2.59 so I filled up even though I was almost full.

It's cold here today - for So. Florida. I was wearing gloves, my leather jacket, and took my comforter with me to my daughter's softball game tonight and wrapped up and I was STILL cold.

Can't wait for your announcement.