Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Generation Gap?

Currently Reading: Downloaded Carol Lynne's Coach for free yesterday off the TEB website (thank you Ashley for reminding me!!!) and loved it! If you missed the free day, go buy it anyway. So far, I think it's my favorite of the ones I've read by her!


My daughter's 14th birthday is tomorrow. What does she want, other than a ferret (not happening!) or a home back up in the old neighborhood (be patient...it will happen one day!)?

A laptop.

And her grandparents and loving aunt and uncle are pitching in to get her one.

Part of me says 'Not fair...I want one first!"

But on the other side, if she gets her own, then she won't be bugging me so much when I'm working or networking???

I remember when I turned 14.

My hair was down past my shoulders, and I received my first makeup kit; a curling brush...the kind you plugged in, let it heat up, and then wrapped the hair around it for curls? I don't know if the curling IRON had arrived yet; all I know is my cousin and I were thrilled, until we tried it out before reading the instructions carefully.

There's a wonderful picture of my sister holding the contraption, with my hair tangled around the bristles. I'm looking rather anxious, and my cousin is frantically flipping through the manual! I think we eventually had to cut my hair loose, and I had to change my hairstyle for several weeks.

I also recieved another electric blanket, records (don't ask by whom...I can't remember everything!), and the first two Trixie Belden books.

But my daughter is a new breed. She's not interested in boys yet; has no desire to wear perfume; loves the outdoors; likes to read occasionally; loves taking care of animals; and has a wonderful aptitude for drawing.

I hope she likes what her dad and I got her, but I know the laptop will be the main attraction for weeks to come.

And yes, the parental controls will still be intact!

And Mom, if you're reading this, can I please have an AlphaSmart for my birthday?

Does anyone else remember their 14th birthday? What did you receive?

Remember my interviews with my guys and gals last fall? Check out Ginger Simpson's blog http://www.mizging.blogspot.com/ and read her version! It's hilarious:)

5 comments:

barbara huffert said...

I stopped doing birthdays long before then. One day soon I'll tell you about it.

Unknown said...

I can't remember the gifts I got for my 14th birthday, but I can remember the sort of things I had at about that age. I loved to listen to my records so I'm sure I must have received a lot of LPs and 45s as I was buying new 45s weekly. I liked to watch my 19" TV and read Nancy Drew books and also Harlequin and Silhouette books. I loved to rollerskate and bowl and I loved to get new clothes so I probably got some new clothes, too.

My 13 year old (boy) is dying to get his own computer. But then again, so is my 17 year old (girl) who shares one with her older sister who usually monopolizes it.

Unknown said...

Oh! Happy birthday to your daughter.

Anny Cook said...

Fourteenth birthday. The day John F. Kennedy was shot. I have no clue if I even received a birthday gift. It wasn't a very good year...

Unknown said...

From memory, I got my ears pierced... no way I would have got anything more expensive than that