Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Where's My Muse?

Currently Reading: Still reading Dan Quayle's book. Afterwards, Reba's up:) And haven't read Lisbet Sarai's yet. Stay tuned:)

She's apparantly taking some time off as well, LOL...

Someone the other day, on another blog, asked the question, "Where do you get your ideas?"

My earlier stories were my own HEA fairy tales. I also recently came across a page of topics designed to kick-start our 5th or 6th grade imaginations, and one of them I recognized. "A king discovers his country is about to be attacked..."

I vaguely remember my story, and unfortunately, this happens to be one of the few papers I didn't save. I think the plot involved a magic mirror, several crafty magical creatures, and of course, the handsome prince and beautiful princess. Some day I'll resurrect that story and rewrite it. But not today.

My next inspiration came from a play my best friend and I made up. Sadly, the story is full of holes and resembles a Hansel and Gretel ending. So much for being original...but hey, I was 13...

I fell in love with the song, "One Tin Soldier" and wrote my own story to it. My teacher was puzzled by the 'moral' at the end, which was the entire chorus to the song. Apparently she'd never heard it. And I had no clue about song copyright laws.

Same with my ending to Star Wars. Tiger Beat Magazine incorrectly identified the last installment as "Lost Raiders of the Ark", and Harrison Ford would be returning. Since the movie wasn't due out for a couple of years, and I needed an idea for my upcoming Friday Morning English class, I thought it would be an excellent idea. Wrong on 2 counts: Harrison burst on the screen as "Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark" (forever destroying my dreams of discovering the secrets of the Pyramids or dinosaurs or even finding a lost civilization) and when the final chapter of "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" came out, I'd completely forgotten all about Darth Vader professing to be Luke's daddy.

I've already stated that my inspiration for my series came after a blind date, and dreams of "What if.."

I interviewed my best male friend in high school, originally intending to base some what was going to happen in Love is Sober on him, but none of it made it into the book. I did use his basketball number in books 4-8...

My concession stand experience is the basis of another book, unfinished and untitled. Another someone recently said if someone criticises you, get back at them by killing them off in your next book. Well, I didn't exactly kill this person, but their life is about to become a living hell, if I ever get back to it!

And most recently, while driving down the street, a news clip caught my attention and the next thing I know, I have a character inside my head begging me to tell his story! Well, it didn't exactly turn out that way, but he's represented in the book, Wild at Heart.

And if you've been a consistant reader the past few months, then you know I've been watching quite a bit of The Food Network. Combine that with the fact I finally saw Rattatouille and voila! While getting ready for our New Year's Day feast, another story pops in my head...

I just wish my muse would return so we could get back to work!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you going to look at the reviewer thing?

Phoenix said...

I like the first idea... the king one. THAT would be an awesome book. You going to write it?

Bronwyn Green said...

Maybe you can bribe your muse to come back...

Molly Daniels said...

AJ: Yes, I am.

Kelly: Eventually:)

Bron: I've tried chocolate, but it didn't work. Maybe I need to either go back to Florida (where I got a lot of my ideas sitting on the beach!) or Colorado...in warmer weather, that is!

Anny Cook said...

Find your Josh Groban CD... that'll tempt any muse out there.

Molly Daniels said...

I think she ran off with it. I'm about to turn the house upside down! I know it's here somewhere...

Celine would do it, though I don't have an iPod and hubby prefers the TV to music.