Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A, B, C, D...

Saw on the news that the bra turned 100 last year...

I'm about to become a bra-burner.

Seriously. After spending literally 30 minutes in the department store, going through the racks, boxes, and searching endlessly for the size I was measured for, I gave up.

And found one I could live with...at least until spring.

Why is it, when you've reached a certain size, the manufactures all assume the cup size has changed? I used to be a perfect 34A. And could even convince myself I was a B or a C. But after having kids, I grew to a size 36. And could still fit into a B cup. And was perfectly happy for the next ten years.

But in 2004, my little blessing arrived, and nursed him longer than my other two ever did (K found out it came out faster through the rubber nipples and nursed only for 6 days. S caught on faster, esp when we outlawed the bottles from the get-go, but I caught the flu and weaned her after 6 weeks. W nursed for a solid 3 months!) and when I decided to stop wearing the nursing bras, I discovered I was now a 38...A or B.

And guess what? It's hard to find a 38A!

I'm too big for the 36B and too small for the 38B. So I found a brand with the size 38A/B and it fits perfectly...except it's on the thin side, and come warmer weather, I'd better be wearing a loose shirt if I'm the slightest bit chilled.

It used to be so easy; I'd go in, find my size and style, try it on, pay, and walk out. Now, I spend several minutes hoping I'll find one that fits!

And since I've occassionally gone braless in the morning and no one even guesses, I suppose that's my green-light to give it up altogether.

Or, suffer in my WonderBra everyday...nah. I like to be comfortable!

I'll just check Victoria's Secret the next time I'm at the mall...maybe I'll get lucky!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bras...instrument of torture but necessary unless you want 'em dragging on the ground

Molly Daniels said...

Sigh...wearing one has been too ingrained. I feel naked w/o one...

Anny Cook said...

Try finding one with two different cups...DD and C. Hah! Just try that!

Molly Daniels said...

Interesting visual, Anny...interesting visual!