Monday, December 10, 2007

How To Drive a Teenager Crazy on His Birthday...

K ordered his class ring last year, before we had to move. And it's been a struggle to find the money to pay for it. So over the summer, I chipped away at the balance slowly, and in September, finally paid it in full. The package arrived on a weekend he happened to be on a BSA outing.

We decided to hide it and give it to him for his birthday.

Friday, I took this small black velver box, wrapped it in its original mailing envelope, wrapped a layer of newspaper around it, and topped it with a layer of 'Happy Birthday' wrapping paper. I then padded a clothing box with additional newspaper, loosely bundled the item in more paper, folded the tissue paper over it, and placed the lid on the box. I then wrapped the entire box, and had him open it last.

He liked his new pairs of cargo pants, the telescope, and the money he received. And was especially choked up by his grandmother's loving message in the card. And he laughed at his 'Driver's License Picture' card we gave him (picture of a monkey inside...double meaning, as his nickname from birth to a year was 'Monkey'!). But he was especially surprised when he finally unwrapped that box to find a smaller box, and no, it wasn't keys to a new car, but his long-awaited gold class ring. It's not left his hand all weekend. And he's got the Colt's emblem on it, the year they won the Super Bowl.

His other nice surprise was that his cousin Josh, who is a Senior in HS, showed up at the laser tag place and brought 3 friends with him. A good time was had by all; the baby and I didn't play, but he had a great time 'playing' on the arcade games! Hubby sat out two games, and the kids squared off in two teams of 4, and were extremely tired after 5 games!

Met my parents and my sister-in-law at the Lone Star Steakhouse and enjoyed cheese fries, the Awesome Blossom/Bloomin' Onion/Onion Petals/whatever it's called there; steaks; and a huge chocolate sundae for the birthday boy that was so huge, it took 3 teens and the toddler to eat!

And the everyone but hubby and I was asleep before we left Terre Haute!

Had more birthday cake later in the evening, and my son said this was the best birthday he'd ever had.

I'm still finding it hard to believe it's possible I have a 16-year-old! But I have a good one, and I'm very proud of him. Now if he'd hurry up and get that Eagle Scout award...

3 comments:

Brynn Paulin said...

Hey, he's still got 2 years for the eagle. What rank is he now?

Sounds like an awesome birthday. Well done.

Molly Daniels said...

He's been a Life Scout for 18 months now. We've had other parents tell us that once they start driving, it's harder to motivate them to continue. K's problem is he wants to do his project (and earn his Eagle) up north at his 1st troop, but it doesn't look as if we're moving back anytime soon.

Brynn Paulin said...

Oh I see. Our troop has had 3 eagle in the last year. Two of them are drivers, lol. I got to sit on the eagle board of review for one of them. That was cool. What kind of project does your son have in mind? Both my boys are 1st Class.