Thursday, October 4, 2007

Odds and Ends

Word Count: 931. Told you it would be small!

Just a short post today...you've heard of tennis elbow? I have 'computer mouse shoulder', or something like that. My surfing the web and typing nearly nonstop all week has caused a strange pain from my shoulder to collarbone...yeah, you could say this wip has been a pain in the neck, ha ha:) I've slowed down...maybe it's time to take a step back, get away from it for a day or two and actually get some chores done. The laundry's piling up, and yesterday I actually forgot to dry my son's swim suit and towel...I remembered 5 minutes before practice it was still lying in a molding heap in the chute.

Granted, the kid could dry his own damn swim suit and towel and let his mother work...but no, he and the others who live in this house consider the laundry 'Mom's Job'.

And then there's my daughter. When she was in the 6th grade, her Reading/English class wrote their own books and sent them off to be published. Hers, titled "Frisky", is about a dog (her favorite animal) and his antics when he's separated from his family. So here's a picture of her book, and it's been met with great reviews from the toddler set...mainly her younger brother, and two small cousins. It's not available anymore; we had to purchase copies last year, but it's a start, Sara! You beat your mom's goal...mine was originally to be published by 20...and then 30...and succeeded before 40. And she does it at age 12. The same age I was hoping to see one of my short stories in "Jack and Jill" magazine...don't know it the story was rejected, or if we never sent it off. Maybe one day I'll dust off my earlier work and put them together for that "Molly's Fairy Tales" which I dreamed of so many years ago....

I've got a meeting at the university today, to discuss my options for completing my degree. And with the other things I need to do around here, the word count may be rather low. We'll just see what happens!

4 comments:

Phoenix said...

yay Sara!!! And it's a hardcover too! My ten year old wrote a couple of books too, but when she was much younger. I took them to Kinko's to laminate one and bind it, the other we wrote into a blank page photoalbum. That one she did when she was three. I cut out shapes for her and wrote the story as she told it to me. It's titled: Jonguala and squash the guy. Still love it.

Nothing like seeing your kids achieve their goals.

Unknown said...

I want to know what degree you are finishing. While education is important, I have never used my BA. I have the framed certificate somewhere...

Molly Daniels said...

I'm going for my BSW...bachelor of Social Work. I just found out now I have to take 3 or 4 classes instead of just the 2...and a 15-hour field practicum instead of 12-hour. I'll find out next week if Ball State can work with me or not...either take the classes online or at Terre Haute or Evansville, and the VU can supervise the field placement. I stand a good chance at getting hired by Head Start or Healthy Families:) I'll still write; but with a steady income, I won't hear the publishing/promotion gripes from D...okay, yes I will, but they won't be over $...

Unknown said...

That's so great Molly. I admire you for going back to finish your degree and I bet it's something you love. Kudos to you