Saturday, October 20, 2007

American Girl...

I've been immortalized by a doll. And an entire series of books:)

Seriously.

With the exception of my hair color, and the fact I was born in 1965 (yup, gave away my age there...), I'm an American Girl!

My maiden name is Molly McIntire, and if anyone is familiar with the American Girl craze, she's a brown-haired nine year old living during WW2:) My mother was so tickled by this, she bought the doll, some of the books, and even sent me 'Molly's Wartime Cookbook' or something to that effect!

My parents went to Europe in 1990, to visit my sis at the London Centre, and decided to look up the old family crest in Scotland. Mom found the plaid, and discovered an ancient story, which is sad, hilarious, and kind of weird.

Before I dive in, my parents' best friends are the Campbells.

Way back when, the McIntires (I think it was spelled McIntyre at the time) rented land from the Campbells, and the rent being one snowball a year. My ancestors apparently thought it too tedious to traipse into the mountains and collect said snowball, and so they lost their land! Granted, I have no idea where the land was, or how far away it was from the mountain, or even if this was the malicious idea of how to steal the land away (remember, no freezers, no Coleman coolers to keep it from melting!). Or if my ancestors were just plain lazy.

I like to think our work ethic has improved...

We all own our own homes now, and those of us who don't, aren't renting from anyone named Campbell:)

Kelly, if you're referring to my long and unusual married last name...I knew my hubby for 4 years before he convinced me to quit dating losers and give him a try. He 'rescued' me from a bad situation...long story short, I ended up marrying him. On our wedding day, after the ceremony was over, and I had to add my signature to the marriage license, I literally looked at his typewritten name, and in front of Dr. T, exclaimed, "Oh that's how you spell your name!"

Dr. T looked taken aback for a moment, and then he threw back his head an laughed as I hastened to explain I'd been spelling it wrong all those years!

No, I had not gotten some guy off the street to marry me because the groom chickened out, ha ha:)

Have a great weekend, and check out how Anny has managed the saga today. Emmaline is currently traipsing through her book Chysanthemum today, and has even tied one of AJ's books into it! Before you know it, Emmaline will end up taking on Puck, from Kelly's book...I don't think she'll ever end up in Arbordale, though...

4 comments:

Phoenix said...

Yep, the long married name is what I was referring to. It sounds like it means something. For example. I knew a woman whose last name is "Shearrow" because her grandfather married a native american and he wanted to honor her heritage. Hence he changed their married last name to "She-arrow". I know you are keeping your wedded name hush hush, but I am curious. Any chance you can tell me off blog?

jackie said...

I will for a minimal fee! :)

Unknown said...

A snowball? Seriously?

Molly Daniels said...

D says he knows of no back story, and told me to invent one:) Will ask the MIL...no more relatives on Dad's side to ask...